Saturday, September 24, 2011

Volumes - Via (2011) [REVIEW]


Genre: Groove Metal / "Djent"
From: Los Angeles CA, USA


1. Paid In Full
2. Wormholes
3. Limitless
4. Reversion
5. Serenity
6. The Columbian Faction
7. Affirmation Of Ascension
8. Intake
9. Behind The Curtain
10. Recovery
11. Edge Of The Earth
12. Via

Since Volumes announced their full length, I was super stoked for it. When they streamed it after winning the spot on Thrash And Burn, my mind was blown. It became one of my favorite albums of the year, if not my favorite album of the year. With the album coming out digitally on Tuesday, I wrote this review for people who may not have checked out the stream or preordered to get more stoked on it and purchase it next week. Here's a track by track analysis of one of the best metal albums of 2011, and possibly all time. WARNING: I say beautiful a lot.

1. Paid In Full: Straight forward djenty goodness. I love the ominous, looming background noise that's present through most of the song. It's a perfect intro track to build you up for the monster that is the rest of VIA.

2. Wormholes: Redone and not much has changed, because not much needed to be changed. Some of the technique used in some of the vocal parts are different, and the mix is heavier and cleaner than on the original. The melodic part in the middle sounds so much more beautiful as well, which I thought was a perfect change.

3. Limitless: Heavy from the get go, with some great ambient background guitars. The 2-step part in the middle is amazing, and becomes melodic and emotional before turning the "djent" back on for one more beatdown.

4. Reversion: The first of the instrumental tracks. Musical beauty in its purest form is all I can say.

5. Serenity: One thing I have always like Volumes for, is that they know how to make breakdowns sound beautiful and inspiring. Their music isn't just all "FUCK YOU, I'M GONNA FUCKING KILL YOU" like the rest of metal. Serenity is a prime example of the inspiring sound I love most about Volumes. The end gets really progressive and melodic with a phenomenal guitar solo.



6. The Columbian Faction: The album gets right back into the heaviness after Serenity, and for the first time introduces the use of clean vocals. Lots of people did not like the cleans, and I personally love them and almost wish there was more use of them on the album. The clean part is the best part of this song, be prepared for intense sing alongs at shows.

7. Affirmation Of Ascension: This song starts out kind of boring, just the same progressive/djent, but when the 2 step kicks in the song really redeems itself. It's truly a beautiful 2-step. The second half showcases the more intense side of their sound, and makes this probably the heaviest song on the album. I love how Volumes can go from heavy to beautiful and back again so seamlessly.

8. Intake: Since I first heard Intake on The Concept of Dreaming, it has been one of my favorite songs ever made. The new version takes what I loved so much about it, and makes it twice as beautiful and twice as heavy. The end is a little different compared to the one on the EP, but it is only improved with much better solo work. The only thing that could have made this better is if they added some clean vocals, but still flawless.

9. Behind The Curtain: Another heavier song. To be honest, not much stuck out to me on this one. It's a good song and all that, just nothing really sets it apart.

10. Recovery: Second instrumental track of the album. Not as beautiful as Reversion, but it's okay. This one has more of the "filler" vibe, but as a lead in to Edge Of The Earth, it works.

11. Edge Of The Earth: Easily my favorite song on the album. I haven't felt this way about a metal song since the first time I heard Intake like 3 years ago. Perfect balance of heavy and melodic, and the second song to use clean vocals. The cleans are even better than on Columbian Faction, and there's significantly more which is a plus. I can't say much more, this track is just beautiful and is an amazing experience.



12. Via: Following the melody of Edge of the Earth, the title track kicks off sounding like a national anthem. I love when the heavy guitar kicks in, I wouldn't even know how to describe it, it's just awesome. This track arguably has the best solo work on the whole album, and mixes in just the right amount of the style of breakdowns Volumes is known for. This is up there as one of my favorites on the album.

Via comes out September 27th digitally, and October 11th in stores, be sure to grab this! You will not be disappointed at all. Click the shopping cart to buy Via or some merch.

No comments:

Post a Comment